Use this resource to develop your own creative career discussions.
These questions are for individuals and their managers.
- What have been the patterns or career themes in your working life so far?
- Who or what has influenced you most?
- What personal values underpin your career choices and aspirations?
- What sort of lifestyle do you want?
- What are your three main career drivers?
- Thinking about your life and work as a whole what would you like to be doing in one/three years time?
- What would your ideal day consist of?
- If you were not working for your current organisation and you had all the money you needed, how would you spend your time?
- What would you like to be remembered for?
- What does the word career mean to you?
- How would you define career success?
- How did your last career change come about? Did you or others initiate it?
- What do you want your next career stage to look like?
- What really excites you about your current work?
- When and why have you been most successful?
- What has given you the greatest buzz in the last 12 months, both in and outside of work?
- How do your values impact on the way you do your job?
- What would motivate you to achieve higher performance?
- Which parts of your organisation interest you most?
- What improvements would you like to make in your work or life as a whole?
- What frustrates you about your current situation?
- What would you like to be doing more of?
- What do you most want to learn about?
- What type of work satisfies your temperament best?
- What barriers are restraining your career growth?
- Describe the environment/location you most enjoy working in
- What does your organisation offer you? Is it meeting your expectations?
Me & co
- What are your key skills?
- What added value do you bring to your organisation?
- What differentiates you from others?
- What different roles could you carry out?
- How would the organisation benefit from your next preferred career move?
- How can you become more visible/recognised in your current/future role?
Organisational Know How
- What are your client's/customers needs? What do you need to be doing to meet those needs?
- Which parts of the business are expanding? Which contracting?
- What are the key performance measures?
- What sort of behaviour gets rewarded?
- Who are the organisational role models?
Riding the Wave
- How is the wider business environment changing?
- How can you exploit opportunities as they emerge?
- How can you create opportunities for yourself?
- What are your strengths? how can you build on these?
- In what ways could you increase your contribution at work?
- If there were one thing you could be better at, what would it be? How would this help you in your job/career?
- How do others see you both in and outside work. If you don't know how can you find out?
- What additional skills/knowledge do you require to meet your career aspirations?
- What additional skills/knowledge do you require to meet future organisational needs?
- What opportunities does your current role provide for development?
- How can you develop yourself?
- Who /what is available to support your development?
Questions to ask your manager/mentor
- How will you help me develop?
- How can we best work together?
- What's the one thing I could do that would enhance my career opportunities?
- What is your philosophy on career development?
- What direction do people usually take following this role?
- How can we ensure my career stays on track and progresses in the right way?
- What can I do to help you succeed?
- What objectives are you going to set yourself to achieve your goals?
- What actions are you going to take?
- When will you take action?
- What is preventing you getting there?
- Who can help?
- How can you maintain the momentum?
If you have some ideas, please
SEND US YOUR GREAT CAREER QUESTIONS!
back to top